What to Do and When
In addition to the suggestions in the “Moving Tips” section, here is a detailed timeline to help you schedule your move.
6 Weeks – 2 Months Prior to Moving Day
- Get 3 estimates from professional movers & book your move
- Sketch out a floor plan of your new home and decide what will go where
- Take an inventory of all your possession and decide what to move, sell or replace
- If you have children, make arrangements for school transfers
- Get copies of medical, dental, legal and other important records
- If you hired a mover, itemize related moving costs including packing, insurance, etc.
- Make a list of items that require special care such as computers, fine china etc.
4 Weeks Prior to Moving Day
- Make any necessary repairs, clean carpets, drapes and furniture
- Dispose of unwanted items with a garage sale and/or give to charity
- If you are moving and/or packing yourself, order boxes and all moving supplies.
- Arrange for storage if needed
- Make travel arrangements for pets
- Complete change of address forms
- Notify utility companies and institutions with your change of address
- Start packing!
2 Weeks Prior to Moving Day
- Cancel and/or newspaper, magazine and other deliveries
- Confirm new bank accounts
- Schedule any appliance deliveries
- Confirm movers or truck rental
- If you’re driving your own vehicle, have it serviced and check tires
1 Week before Moving Day
- Gather valuables, records and important papers for protected shipment
- Fill prescriptions
- Notify friends, neighbours, and co-workers of new address
A Few Days before the Move
- Defrost fridge and freezer
- Prepare a travel bag with toiletries, change of clothing, toothbrushes, etc.
- Get a certified cheque for the mover and extra cash
- Pack valuable items that you want to take with you including your inventory list
- Confirm arrival time of the mover or reservations with the truck rental company
- Plan meals to take on moving day
- Make a note of the utility meter readings
- Be present when the movers arrive and before they leave
- Check your belongings and make a note of any damaged items